Friday 22 April 2016

HOPE PMBA Enduro round #2

So this time it was off to Grizdale, to what was to be our host for round #2, having had not had to bad a result here last year I was eager to see how well I would get on with the new Empire MX6 EVO and some extra training I had packed in over the winter on what is one of the PMBA's  narliest rounds. Kev and Mike did not disappoint!!

So Saturday morning started early with getting the Enduro bus packed up and going to pick up Damo and James #Layburn bikes. As usual  Damo and I got lost so yes we were late arriving to pick up James.

Arriving late afternoon after a fun packed journey it was a quick jump into the riding gear and of we went to get some practice in on stages 1+2
We were greeted with some great technical sections full of roots and the usual  rocks that like to catch you out! So here I am after trying some different lines into certain sections much to the amusement of James and Damo after I had to bail a few times we headed back to the bus before dark for some much needed grub!!

Leaving the pub after a decent fill we decided it was just a bit to late to be pitching the tent in the dark, after all its hard enough in the light never mind pitch black with a pint inside!! So we had no choice but to hang the bikes from the ceiling and cuddle up ;)
Once we'd figured out who was hugging who we managed a decent night sleep.

Opening my eyes Sunday morning I was greeted with the all important sunshine, fair enough a touch of ground frost but sun shine and no rain!! So although it was a bit  fresh when I opened the van doors it looked like it was going to be a nice day. And after a comfortable yet cosy night cuddled up with Damo and James (3 guys, 3 bikes and all our gear we had no choice haha) we were ready for the day ahead!!

Sunday practice meant stages 3 and 4 were open so after a quick coffee we headed out, heading into stage 3 I was feeling good and just nearing the bottom hitting stuff on the bike and enjoying how well it was riding until i got to the bottom and heard the dredded sound of escaping air and on further inspection realizing I'd put a few nice sized dents in my rim and a nice buckle, tube in I managed to get a practice in on stage 4 before heading back to the van for repairs. 


                                     After a quick true up it was prepare for an afternoons racing
Race

Stage#1

After a nice warm up ride to the first stage it was straight to business with slippery roots right from the off! After watching Damo take out the Timing chip dooffa and laughing I went and did the same followed by riding first 100m with both feet of the pedals! Not the best start but once I'd managed to compose myself I started to get in a groove and ride the rest of the stage clean bar the no footer off a not so easy log drop that popped out of nowhere. Making it to the finish it was the pedal back along Coniston Water and up the big old climb for some awesome flap jack and loads of water dished out by the lovely marshals.

Stage#2

After having some good laughs on this stage during practice hitting dodgy lines I was looking forward to this stage, a nice fast entry from the fire road sending us in to loamy roots followed by a nasty little stream crossing sucked up all your speed. Hammering on the pedals again to then hit the slippiest roots I've ever encountered falling of as I had done in practice but managing to keep hold of the bike.  This stage just got faster and faster. On to the fire roads  then back into woods down through a grassy field reminding me of the good old dual slalom days finishing with some super fast single track that had me grinning from ear to ear. Awesome.......


Stage#3

Going into this stage I was pretty confident as I had a good run here last year I just needed the bike to come through without any issues, this is a short stage so I concentrated on hitting all my lines and just letting the bike go hoping not to puncture. I was glad to hit the bottom flat out with no issues sailing through the rock gardens, my Empire just soaking everything up, job done happy with the run and the bike!

Stage#4

Although really liking this stage from last year Kev and Mike had added a fire road sprint to this and it was what everyone was talking about. The trick here was going to be how to keep enough in the tank for the sprint and then for the rock drops straight after, roots just seemed to be a nightmare for me in this race and on heading into the woods I was greeted by a shoulder to a tree! Although it helped by keeping me upright so not all bad. I managed to slip and slide out of the woods and head down through the felled tree area before a quick sprint over the fire road onto the awesome jump line were you had to remember you were racing and not get to carried away.


                                           A nice shot just before sprinting up the fire road



After sprinting hard down the fire road and realizing I still had my legs it was a quick drop back into the woods and through a section of drops. The chicken line being the fastest line here then onto a fast flowing single track trying to pump the bike through it and pedal were you could before firing into the finish.

So that was it, an absolutely cracking weekend with some of the best riding I've done. Super technical and plenty of pedaling to really test you, heading over to hand in my timing chip I was feeling pretty nervous as I had made a few mistakes. Going back and calming down we waited for the results I felt pretty good but was still surprised to come away with 18th out of 110 in the masters category....YES I was buzzing!!

I had broken into the top 20 maybe no big thing to some but feel I am heading the right way and at only the second round things can hopefully only get better with consistent training and practice .

So that's it, a great race with great organization. This series is really starting to shape up as one of the best not just for hardened racers but also beginners, well done again Mike and Kev for a cracking day!!

Big thanks to Jerry Tatton and Adam Sherratt for the great photos and also the marshals for the encouragement they always give.

Thanks again Richard Ford at Mountain Bike Garage


Next race is Maca avalanche at Glencoe !!  Bring it on!!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment